Working with Artisans at Limalimo Lodge

May 05, 2015

With the Addis Ababa Artisans Bazaar rapidly approaching (9-10 May) it got those of us in HQ thinking about the importance of artisans within Limalimo’s construction.

We have always intended, from day one, to source as much as we can within Ethiopia, be it building materials or soft furnishings. Whilst this can sometimes take longer and cost more, we feel it is not only the right thing to do, but the best way to show our visitors the very best of Ethiopia, and what fine craftsmanship is available within the country.

It also ensures our impact is positively affecting as many people as possible, from builders to carpenters, weavers to farmers. As we see it, 90% of the build is community engagement, with precision items by Ethiopian artisans making up the remaining 10%.

Admittedly, there will be some things we don’t manage to find in country, but we’re incredibly proud of the things we have found, which include:

Ploughshare Women’s Crafts Training centre, a women’s cooperative in the village of Wolleka (Fallasha village) just outside of Gondar that are handmaking these beautiful sinks for the bathrooms. We think they’re rather special! The centre supports disadvantaged women, developing their pottery skills which they can then take back to their villages.

undefined

 

Patec, who specialises in precision woodwork – he’s handcrafting the window frames and wooden furniture.

undefined

 

Sabahar, who make beautiful materials from hand weaving silk and cotton and are a member of the World Fair Trade Organisation. We have  commissioned them to make our duvet covers, cushion covers and other soft furnishings.

undefined

As well as these items furnishing the lodges, we’ll be showcasing some of Ethiopia’s finest handcrafts in our on-site shop for visitors to buy. We’re excited to be having conversations with:

Zaaf Collection, who make beautiful leather bags in Addis Ababa. To date they’ve only been exporting, but now they have a showroom within Ethiopia, we’re joining the queue to stock some of their purses and bags. www.zaafcollection.com

Keteme, who work with a selection of carefully selected hi-end artisans, to provide a collection of one-of-a-kind designs handcrafted in Ethiopia…we can’t wait to see what beautiful items we can stock!

Please get in touch if you think you have something we should be stocking: info@limalimolodge.com

We’re going to have a stand at the Artisans Bazaar in Addis Ababa, where we’ll be showcasing some beautiful photos of the Simiens and offering visitors the chance to send a Simien postcard home via our exciting new postbox (handcrafted by Lucas, our Chief Investment Officer!).

Please pop by our stand and say hi if you’re going to be there.

Other posts

shop
March 09, 2017

Building conservation into the bottom line
June 20, 2016

Welcoming Village Ways to the Simien Mountains
April 08, 2016

Sustainable Tourism – an opponent for climate change?
February 29, 2016

Starting the Year with Rachael’s Review
January 21, 2016

Happy Christmas from the Limalimo Team
December 24, 2015

Training in the Mountains
November 26, 2015

Our Kit List for the Simien Mountains
October 30, 2015

Interviewing Julia Bleasdale
September 18, 2015

Assessing the impact of Limalimo Lodge
August 18, 2015

Simien Mountains in the Clouds
July 17, 2015

Trekking highlights in the Simien Mountains National Park
June 22, 2015

Working with Artisans at Limalimo Lodge
May 05, 2015

Ramming Earth: A Guest Blog from Rowland Keable
April 16, 2015

Celebrating our Women
March 30, 2015

Rocket stove!
March 23, 2015

One for the Food Lovers
February 24, 2015

Thanks Tyler!
February 22, 2015

Send a postcard
January 20, 2015

Walls!
December 02, 2014

Vroom vroom!
November 07, 2014

Digger, digger!
October 13, 2014

As the rains end...
September 18, 2014

Sourcing water
June 17, 2014